Monday, August 17, 2009

The Engagement Story

*Warning: Long Post. My bad.

I’M ENGAGED! And it’s about time. He had been telling me for the past little bit that it wasn't going to happen for at least another two weeks. So I gave him a hard time every chance I got, constantly calling him “just my boyfriend” and being sad about it. I was probably pretty annoying. Saturday night we went on a date to the play “Beauty and the Beast” in Draper, UT and then to Chipotle for dinner. It was so much fun until Nate dropped me off at home at 10:30! I was so mad that he didn’t want to be with me that night. Then he called me and said that we had to be at church early the next day because he had to set up the Sacrament. Again, I was frustrated. I can hardly make it to church on time as it is, much less early. But somehow I was ready at 9:10 when he pulled up to get me. As we drove he kept calling his friend with questions about who was bringing the bread and then his friend said that the front doors to our chapel were locked and he would have to park out back to get in. So we did but before he got out of the car he wanted to listen to the song that was on since it was one of “our songs”. (Weren’t we in a rush??) As we got out of the car, two girls also got out and started walking down the hill to church. I went to follow them and Nate said, “Hang on, I have a cramp in my leg”. I was very confused at this point why he wasn’t rushing considering we were now ten minutes late for when he was supposed to be there, and a cramp? Really? Although I was confused, I still didn’t pick up on why he might be stalling. So we started walking down and he said, “Isn’t it a beautiful day?” I replied that I thought it was a little cold, but kept hurrying down the steps. I also said, “This outfit would look so much cuter with my ring boyfriend.” Haha. A few seconds later he was pulling me aside off the path into the grass to “enjoy the moment”. At this point, the first thought of getting engaged right now popped into my head, but I knew that for the past few days I had been taking every little thing as a possibility of that so I didn’t fully believe that that could happen, plus we had to wait at least another two weeks. But sure enough, he reached down into his scripture case and pulled out the box with my ring in it. My only reaction was squealing, “Are you serious? Is this for real? Are you even allowed?” He was shaking so bad so I knew it wasn’t a joke and this was real. He got down on one knee and began with Chelsea Marie Stephenson… and that’s all I remember. Seriously! I can’t remember what he said besides that he loved me and would I marry him. I said yes of course and he put the ring on my finger…barely because he was shaking so bad. And we were engaged. Later, I found out that all of the calls he was making to his friend about the sacrament were codes to how far away we were and when we were going to get there because his friend was hiding to take pictures of us while Nate proposed. When Nate said it’s a beautiful day, that was the cue for his friend to come out from behind the dumpster and start taking pictures. They turned out so cute and I’m so glad we have them! I can't wait to marry Nate and I seriously wish it was tomorrow. But until then I'm excited to start planning and to enjoy being engaged. I love my ring! I thought I would list some of the reasons I love him so much on here, although I'm kind of tired of typing so I'm not sure how many I'll get through right now. But anyways, here are some of the reasons why I love my Gray Boy:


1. He lets me listen to Celine Dion in the car whenever I want to. Well, not just listen...but blast it and belt it out as well.
2. He endures my cooking efforts. I cook three different meals, and he loves them all without complaint. I try so hard to cook other things for him but I always do something wrong. He always claims to enjoy it though and compliments my efforts.
3. He puts up with my craziness just enough, but doesn't let me get away with acting like a psycho woman.
4. He knows when I'm just about at my breaking point and does everything in his power to make me happier before it's too late (which is probably more for his benefit than mine, but I love him for it).
5. He is the most genuinely caring person I have ever met. Seriously. He will drop anything in order to be the slightest help to anyone else. It bugs me sometimes because people don't appreciate him for it.
6. He acknowledges the things I do that he knows I try hard on. Even if it's just a little thing (a slight improvement in my attitude, a little more help with cleaning, practicing cooking) or big things (things in school or at work that I accomplish, goals that I reach, etc). He tells me how proud he is of me and that he noticed, and that's all that matters to me.
7. He tries very hard to please me. :) Every outfit he picks out, haircut he gets, workout he does...he says it's all for me.
8. I can be a little stubborn sometimes, but he puts up with me long enough for me to realize that I'm tired of acting like that. (This is bigger than it sounds, most people can't deal with 2 minutes of my stubborness).
9. He wants to be with me 24/7 just as much as I want to be with him. We're both rather needy.
10. Although we're both very poor right now, he takes me on dates and buys me Cafe Rio when he knows I want it.


Ok, that's all I'm going to do for now.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

so fun to read! thanks for posting it. ps-nate im one of those people that can't take the stubborness for 2 min. so i give you a lot of credit for that :) love ya chels :)

Mary Killion said...

You two are so cute! Congratulations :)

MedSchoolWife said...

Awww Chelsea, I love this. And believe me when I say, all that stuff in the beginning.. I UNDERSTAND. Really. Haha.

I love your list, too. And the Cafe Rio thing.. for me it's when I desperately need fettucine alfredo from Olive Garden. Brad takes me there like twice a month just because I need it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sorry the talking thing didn't work out earlier, my facebook chat freaked out.

Maren said...

your ring is so beautiful! and I'm so glad your nails looked so nice when he proposed. Remember mine??? terrible. you are so beautiful and I'm just so glad you guys are happy! I just added your link to my blog so we can be blogging buddies now :) good luck with all the planning! when's the date?

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.