Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Favorite Day of the Year

was yesterday.
My Birthday.

Actually, this year my birthday started the night before. We went over to Luke and Jordan's apartment to watch The Grammys and to play games and have cake and ice cream with another of our favorite couples, Shelby and Ryan. We played Battle of the Sexes while watching, which is totally biased to be easier for boys, but was super fun! And then had cake and ice cream together. Super simple night, but with my closest friends and doing things I love! (By the way, the Grammys were amazing. I've already rewatched many of the performances many times online.)

Now onto my actual birthday.
Disclaimer: as with all special occasions in our relationship, this too was based solely around food. What can I say, I love to eat. :)

So this year was my first married birthday. High expectations. Needless to say, I think Nate was feeling the pressure as the day approached. I can't even count how many messages I received saying, "Make sure Nate spoils you!" or "I hope Nate treats you like a princess!" Haha. With each one, I think he got a little more nervous. But in the end, he pulled it off better than I ever imagined and it was a truly wonderful day.

We brought our mattress out to the front room the night before and slept out there, so when I awoke in the morning (2 hours after Nate had gotten up to do homework so that he wouldn't have to do it while I was awake and take away from our celebrations), he made me Cinnamon Rolls and I got to watch A Cinderella Story and eat breakfast in bed. After the movie, we just relaxed and enjoyed each others company for awhile. And then Nate gave me my first present, a pearl necklace! I absolutely love it and I immediately feel much classier as soon as I put it on. He then took me to Cafe Rio for lunch.
After lunch we stopped by the Provo library (which is my favorite place in Provo) and I got some new books to read and we also rented a couple movies. We headed home to watch another movie and take a nap. At this point of the day I received a bouquet of flowers from Nate's parents (the first I've ever had delivered to me! Thank you!). I also received my next present from Nate, a Snuggie! There are so many times every day that I wish I had one of these, and now I can be warm while looking like a big blue blob! So excited!Then we got ready to go out to dinner. All day Nate had been asking where I wanted to go, and after looking through coupon books and looking up menus online, we just decided on Macaroni Grill. But halfway there, he claimed to have forgotten his wallet and turned into a parking lot to turn around. It just "happened" to be the parking lot to Chef's Table Restaurant and I said, "Let's just go here!" ...kind of kidding because I knew it was so expensive. "Ok" was all he said and he parked and got out of the car. I was so confused and asked, "What about your wallet?" when he assured me that he had it and explained that he had made reservations here weeks ago and just wanted to make sure it was a surprise. I definitely was.It was a delicious meal and I would love to go back someday...in the very far future considering the bill. But I'm glad we went for this special occasion and it really was such an amazing birthday! I love my hubby and he did a fine job taking over the role of catering to me on my birthday. He even carried me to bed to finish off the night (although he does this many nights).


"Whoa, 21 and invincible.
I'm in power for the hour
I guess today's gonna blow us away"
(A Something Corporate song I've waited many years to have apply to me)

4 comments:

Ashley Hawkes said...

Chelsea, I have to say you look so sexy in that bright blue snuggie!! LOL Happy Birthday!! Sounds like it was awesome. You deserve it!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Happy Birthday Chelsea!!! Glad your hubby made it extra special for you. There's just something about being married that makes you want every holiday a little more special! Hey, we deserve it!! :)

Shelby said...

Dang.. Nate deserves a pat on the back for that one :) It isn't easy to live up to your expectations.. haha This was like the most amazing b-day ever?!?!

We had a blast celebrating with you! I can't believe we are actually this old!

Let's put those cards to use soon!

Loves!

Jamie said...

yes, we love our son! can you tell were obsessed? and the recipe is soo good. try it, nate will appreciate it :)